What are you looking for?
23.8.16

At the very top of a Tuscan mountain

I have just returned from travelling abroad for a second time with Amelie, this time it was for our first girly weekend away with my mum and sister (plus my Great Uncle who is 83!). We stayed in the village where my family originate from, which is a small rustic hideaway at the very top of a Tuscan mountain. 


You would have thought I would be a little more prepared flying for a second time but in fact I think I got over confident. I left everything to the last minute, packing, insurance, holiday shopping for the essentials which meant I was still awake gone 1am the night before we were leaving and we were up at 4am for the flight! With very little sleep I managed to get myself and Amelie to the airport to meet the rest of the gang. We were a picture, tired, hungry, hot and we had enough luggage to sink a battle ship. One lesson I have learnt is that the normal two hours to check in is an absolute minimum requirement when flying with a baby. There is certainly no time for leisurely perusing the deals in duty free. It’s first dropping off the oversized luggage, getting through security with a baby, pushchair, a nappy bag and your own bag, which is no easy task even with an army of family members on hand to assist. Then its dashing around to get the ready made formula from Boots, grabbing snack supplies, a coffee which you don’t have time to drink or the hands to carry and then of course walking, half skipping to get to the opposite end of the terminal for your departure gate before the flight leaves without you. 

Once on the flight we had the fun task of keeping Amelie entertained for two hours as it didn’t fall within her nap times. We were lucky that with raisins, books, her doll and being walked up and down the aisle we managed to keep her from having any major outbursts and we all safely made it across the borders! The return flight was even easier as it was very quiet which meant we got an entire row to ourselves, absolute bliss as again it was the wrong time for naps so it meant round two of games, silly faces, singing…etc.

We landed in sweltering heat in Milan and then had almost a two hour car journey to get to the local town to pick up supplies before driving a further half an hour to the top of the mountain. By this stage Amelie was well and truly ready to be released from her carseat and I was questioning if I had been a little ambitious with a one year old! Thank goodness I had my mum and sister on hand to help, who continued to be amazing throughout the holiday giving me some well needed breathing space from time to time. 

Although it was all worth it when we finally stepped out of the car into the stunning haven of tranquility, no internet, no phone reception and no mod cons, just basic basic basic but with a view to die for. 


I spent many happy long summers with my family staying in the village. Each year rekindling friendships with the other returning families who are my long distant cousins, so it is always like a mini reunion when we return. I felt super excited to present Amelie to all the nonna’s for the first time who gave her the obligatory cheek squeeze and lots of kisses. Amelie immediately felt the love and relaxed atmosphere of this home from home, we were both buzzing from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. It felt amazing to see her wake up in the house my Great Great Grandfather built, let her taste my favourite local delicacies (turning a blind eye to the salt and sugar content!) and watch her waddle around the church square after listening to the nonna’s singing in the church service. 


I felt extremely lucky to share this best kept secret with her. Although I did have a sudden pang of panic when I realised I was no longer that free spirited child dashing around with my family and friends. My mother is now a happy nonna, I am on my way to becoming one of the nonna’s myself and Amelie is now part of the next generation to keep the traditions alive, wow how times have changed. 







Add your comment