What are you looking for?
24.12.16

Meeting the big man at Harrods!

It's Christmas Eve!!!

Our first grotto of the season was to Harrods no less!

Applying for the tickets was no mean feat. I was so hooked on getting us tickets I set a reminder on my phone for the release date in August, it felt like glasto all over again. When the booking date finally arrived I was on a packed train, with Amelie and all the multitude of bags that come with a day out with a toddler and 1% battery left on my phone!!! Seriously 1%... I am not exaggerating this. Panic stations kicked in, we almost missed our  train stop and Amelie was not best pleased I was glued to my phone trying to secure the tickets. I tried explaining to Amelie it was all for her and she would hopefully thank me later! Without a moment to lose I pressed the book button and secured our places for the Grotto before my phone died.
On the day of our visit to the Grotto I felt like Christmas had come early. We arrived suited and booted waiting to see the big man.

Amelie entered the Grotto through a tiny door which lead to a slide,  whilst we took the secret big door next to her, it felt like Narnia. It was beautiful, we were transported immediately into the magical enchanted world. There were Elves to greet us and help take snaps before we were invited to walk down the corridor and knock on the door. There was a knocker at Amelie's height, and with much gusto she knocked on that door and I felt myself becoming an emotional wreck watching my independent baby. The door opened and Amelie boldly stepped in, arms open wide only to stop in her tracks at the sight of Santa! She welled up and did a nervous gesture I have never seen her do before, we played it down and tried to save the moment. Thankfully all was not lost as Amelie is a huge fan of owls and there sitting next to Santa was a big white owl. I bribed her over  to sit with Santa with the prospect of sitting neat to the owl. She bravely did, she starred at Santa and kept her distance, no tears but she didn't dare crack a smile. When we were on our way out Amelie took one last look back at Santa to give him a big 'bye bye', I think she was coming round to the idea of this as she clutched on to her gift she had just received from this funny looking man in red!
It was a really special day and I hope very much to make it a family tradition each year, as long as I can be quick enough to book the tickets.. no pressure.

Happy Christmas everyone, hope you have a wonderful time and a very Happy New Year to you all. Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has in store for us xxx




Add your comment