What are you looking for?
25.3.20

Baby on lock down


About to go into labour any day in the middle of a world crisis is far from the picture perfect scenario any expectant mother would be hoping for. However life must go on and this new member of our family will be arriving soon no matter what, so I am strapping in for the ride and getting prepared as best I can.

As I watched the news unfold over the past few weeks I have of course been searching for lots of answers relating to the coronavirus and pregnancy. It was an extremely emotional blow when pregnant women were put into the vulnerable group. However it also gave me a sense of comfort to know there were some guidelines and advice in place.

We weren't planning to announce our happy news until after the baby was here safe and sound. As we find ourselves in the current situation I wanted to share my pregnancy so that hopefully I can connect with others in the same situation but also connect a little with the outside world!

I am just over 38 weeks pregnant and now self-isolating as not only is the country on lock down but our four year old has a super high temp and cough...fun and games. Alongside this being a freelance actress and owning an events company work is clearly off the table for awhile. We have decided to try and find the positive in just the simple things until this tidal wave passes and normal life can resume for everyone.

I am certain there must be lots of other pregnant women and families out there in the same boat as we are, wondering what it will be like when the day does come to go to the labour ward. It's difficult to hear daily how the brilliant NHS are slowly becoming more and more stretched. I have chosen for my own sanity to let go of planning as there is actually no way of doing this and  trying to adopt a what will be will be attitude (easier said then done with raging pregnancy hormones!). We are getting prepared for my husband, Iain not to be with me at the birth as our daughter may still be in isolation so no one will be able to look after her. Preparing that I may be treated as a virus patient if I go into labour within the 14 days of isolation (assuming this would feel like I am in a sci-fi movie if this does happen) plus all the other elements which may come into play with each day as the world news is announced.

I am super sad to think of the time which will be lost for our families as our newborn won't meet grandparents, friends and family probably for many weeks if not months but what can be done but wait and stay safe.

We've found adding a little structure to our day helps keep our minds from wondering too deeply into the dark unknown and dream of what it should be like. Adjusting to this new way of life appreciating the basics, we are alive, we have each other and thank goodness for FaceTime.

I have called upon my local midwives for reassurance and guidance for my hundred and one questions. Most of the time they have been utterly amazing, but of course explaining that everything they say today may change tomorrow. It makes you realise that when usually you would look to a professional for all the answers in their field that in this case it is out of everyones control

This will certainly be a story to tell the grandkids, how the world got shut down by an invisible enemy which isolates you to your home, stopping everyone in their tracks reminding us all that we are not invincible.

Please pass this far and wide, would love to create a support line for families, expectant mothers and generally anyone who would want to share some love during this unusual time. Please use the comments below to connect, share as I know its cheesy and been said but we are all in this together...

Spreading very emotional hormonal uplifting vibes to you all x





Add your comment

  1. Good luck with the next few weeka. Im 21 weeks pregnant with twins and i completly get your worries. That being said, i know what the materniry units are doing is for the best for mummies and babies so we just have to have faith in that.
    Strange strange times, this ia my first pregnancy amd will be my only one after having IVF.. feel that im going to miss out on family visiting the twins, support from family, support with breastfeeding and mummy and baby groups. Not how i thought my miracle pregnancy/ babies would be at all!
    Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emma for connecting and sending you lots of virtual support. I share the same thoughts about family members missing out on newborn hugs. Hopefully in nine weeks we may be a little closer to getting back to a slightly more normal scenario, I have my fingers crossed for you. It is extremely hard to keep positive all the time at the moment but I have found it useful to take everyday as it comes. I've been trying to focus on what you have control over.
      I am planning to share as much as possible on here, so if there is anything particular you would like to hear about let me know. Take care and all the best xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 36 weeks and have a 3 year old at home and am feeling all of these emotions! SO glad I have found your blog!
    I am trying to just focus on the birth for now as everthing else is overwhelming. Does not help that we are also almost finished with a loft extension that likely will not be finished now and have stuff everywhere!
    We are intending to self isolate as of next week to try to make sure that we don't pick anything up but then again who knows what we already have?!
    I hope you don't have to give birth on your own. That is my biggest fear! We certainly are going to have plenty of stories for future birthdays and weddings that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucy, thank you for connecting and sounds like you are having a very busy time. Fingers crossed self isolation will give you some sense of control and allow you to focus on the new arrival. The stories are going to feel very surreal! Take care and all the best x

      Delete
  4. Good luck beautiful, you'll be fine, you're made of strong stuff. Love and peace xx

    ReplyDelete